Carl Verheyen Uses:
“One of the Top 10 Guitar Players in the World” Guitar Magazine
“One of the Top 100 Guitarists of All Time” Classic Rock Magazine
In his 50-plus years of playing the instrument, Carl has created a wildly successful, multi-faceted career. He is a critically acclaimed musician, vocalist, songwriter, arranger, producer and educator with thirteen CDs and two live DVDs released worldwide. Carl is commonly regarded as a guitar virtuoso capable of playing any style of music with remarkable mastery and conviction. He has been one of LA’s elite “first call” session players for the past 30 years, playing on hundreds of records, movie soundtracks and television shows. Verheyen has graced the pages of countless industry publications and been the subject of numerous articles chronicling his rise to the forefront of the modern day guitar scene. Carl has won numerous polls and musical honors in the US, Germany, France, Italy and the UK.
A member of the smash hit British rock group Supertramp since 1985, Carl has played to millions of enthusiastic fans in sold out arenas worldwide. As the creative force behind the Carl Verheyen Band, he has released an impressive and eclectic discography that showcases his endless talents across a wide array of musical genres. The CVB tours all over the world and continues to draw fans on the festival circuit as well as theaters and clubs.
A much sought after studio musician, Carl plays on other artists’ CDs whenever his busy schedule permits. He has recorded and played with a virtual who’s who of the music industry. His vast collection of movie soundtrack and television credits is enviable. Carl was heard by 67,000,000 people as a featured soloist at the 2009 Academy Awards. He is also heavily featured in the film documentary about the electric guitar, Turn It Up!
On the educational front, Carl has produced two instructional videos called Intervallic Rock Guitar and Forward Motion as well as six on-line master classes for Truefire. He also has a book/CD detailing his unique “intervallic” style called Improvising without Scales. Another book entitled Studio City is a compilation of all the columns Carl wrote for Guitar Magazine between 1996 and 1999, and his recently released Songbook is a detailed look into his unique and guitar-centered writing style. He has written a monthly column for Chitarre, Italy’s #1 guitar publication as well as Guitar and Bass Magazine in both Germany and France and Guitar Techniques in the UK. He wrote monthly columns four years in a row for Guitar Player Magazine and occasionally contributes to other guitar publications like Vintage Guitar and Guitar World. Carl has taught private guitar lessons to John Fogarty, members of System of a Down and Maroon 5 and conducted master classes all over the world.
Working closely with the guitar company LsL, Carl has a pair of signature electric guitars that are hand made in the USA. The CV Special and CV Studio models are patterned off Carl’s vintage Fender Stratocasters. They play and sound every bit as good, but are road worthy and affordable. He also helped design a unique double cutaway acoustic guitar with Avalon Guitars, a highly respected manufacturer in Ireland, in addition to his numerous existing endorsements.
– “Best Guitarist 1998” LA Music Awards
– “Best Studio Guitarist” Guitar Player Readers’ Choice Awards
– 2005 release Rumor Mill nominated for four DVD Entertainment Awards (“Best Musical Performance,” “Best Audio Presentation,” “Best Dual Disc,” “Best Authoring Design”). Win for “Best Dual Disc.”
– “Best Additional Features” Surround Sound Award for Rumor Mill.
– Featured in dozens of magazines: Guitar Player, Guitar World, Rhythm, Vintage Guitar, Gig, Guitar Shop, Musician, Premier Guitar, 20th Century Guitar, Jazztimes, Chitarre, Guitar and Bass (in France and Germany) Player (in Japan) and Jazziz. Cover of 1998 Guitar Techniques with his long time idol B.B. King. Cover of Axe Magazine twice.
– Motion Pictures : Star Trek, UP, Land of the Lost, The Crow, The Negotiator, Strange Days, LA Story, Gladiator, Blow, Walking Tall, Titan AD, True Lies, The Usual Suspects, Collateral Damage, Scrooged, The Big Hit, Forces of Nature, Mad Love, Idle Hands, Race the Sun, Ratatouille, Speed Racer, Mission Impossible, Cars and numerous more.
– Television Shows: Cheers, Scrubs, Samantha Who, Frasier, Married…with Children, Larry Sanders Show, Seinfeld, Happy Days, Murphy Brown, The Tonight Show, The Gary Shandling Show, The Martin Short Show and over 250 more.
– Performed/Recorded with: Christina Aguilera, Bee Gees, Cher, Belinda Carlisle, Melissa Manchester, Little Richard, Dolly Parton, Glenn Frey, John Fogerty, B.B. King, Shelby Lynne, Jose Feliciano, Leanne Rimes, Gordon Goodwin Band, Miley Cyrus and countless more.
– Nominated for a Grammy for Best Jazz Solo for “A Few Good Men” on Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band CD